
...Was what I woke Kristin up with one morning this week. I had seen a small, weird-looking, pale, tailless lizard (that's all of his tail that you see above) skitter under our bed a few days previous, and had not seen it since. Lucy is a great animal, and is exceptional at offering her companionship, no matter the endeavor. The ineptitude of our dog at performing the work her breed was bred for, however, (ratting- seeking out and killing small animals) is unbelievable sometimes. It was only when I was going through my morning routine that I re-discovered it on top of our toiletry bag that Kristin and I share, just sitting there. I had to think quick, because I remembered it moved quickly and I couldn't afford to leave the room, so I grabbed an empty plastic water bottle, and just held the open neck of it out to it, and held my breath for a long time while it explored the lip, stuck it's little tongue out to sample the air inside, and gradually, cautiously crept inside. As soon as the fourth leg was inside, I tipped the bottle up and screwed on the cap, announcing my triumph to the recumbent slumbering Kristin. Needless to say, this is not the way that Kristin enjoys being woken up. She refused to look at the lizard, and ordered me out of the room. I then released it in the grass across the street from the hotel. Lucy was uninterested in the entire thing.
There's not an infestation, or anything, but I caught another, smaller one Friday morning. This one Kristin found, just as she was changing clothes. Not sure why I didn't hear an ear-splitting shriek, but I caught the urgency in her voice without mistake, and observed that she was about to leap on the bed, if the lizard came her way. I had her keep an eye on it while I got another empty water bottle from the other room and trapped and released it, too.
Here's wishing you a lizard-free day.
Here's wishing you a lizard-free day.
No comments:
Post a Comment