These are a few of my favorite things...
Souvlakis (gyros) at Souvalki Mike's in Chania
Kristin digs on some gyro.
I always thought this sign was funny. The peeled letters haven't always been peeled. If you read it in english, it says "PANTEBOY," but if you read it in Greek it says "RENDEZVOUS"
A drive to Therrisos in the afternoon. Wonderful and short road trip through the floor of a gorge that follows a meandering stream back to a village where Cretan freedom fighters gathered to plot and plan to free their country from the Turks.
Goats or sheep? I always called 'em "Geeps". They're everywhere, and among the most surefooted animals I know. This one was climbing down an almost sheer cliff face.
Made it to Therrissos. Kristin poses with a bronze bust of a Cretan freedom fighter in his fancy Cretan vest and jacket.
Just a few feet away a more impressive statue of a fredom fighter- this one dressed more plainly, toting a rifle, and looking back down the gorge where we came in.
Olive trees on the way out.
Marathi beach, just outside Souda harbor. Another family-friendly "locals only" kind of beach. There was a few foreigners, but it was mostly us and the Greeks. Our friends invited us here to have some beach fun with them.
Another monastary we couldn't go in. (It was closing for the day) So beautiful.
The outside of the monastary, showing the walls.
The view looking the other way from the monastary. The drive is a bit rough to get out there, but the monastary and the view is worth it.
I was hoping we'd see a tree climbing Geep! On our way back from the monastary, we saw this Geep up in this olive tree, reaching and eating some of the taller leaves. I love seeing Geeps in trees.
I took Kristin to one of my favorite restaurants, Kou Kou Balia, which I think means "The Owl," somehow. The entire restaurant is decorated with little owl figurines and modern art depicting owls. The restaurant is perched on Monte Vardia, beyond the church and gravesite of El Venizelos, and overlooks Chania. Great place to grab a quick bite to eat, maybe just dessert, even, and to take a date.
No comments:
Post a Comment